These are just my suggestions and ideas for posting on Social Media.

  1. 80/20 or 90/10 or 80/10/10 are number combinations thrown around by many. The whole point of it is to tell you to post valuable, interesting content that is NOT focused on your product at least 80% of the time. The postings can be about how your audience can USE the product though. The other 20% of the time can be sales, discounts, new product announcements, etc. 20% is the “me, me, me” postings.
  2. Mix up the postings on various channels. If you post on Linked In about something, schedule that same posting (or slight variation) on Facebook for another day – maybe 2 or 3 days later. You could tweet it at the same time though.
  3. Keep in mind you might have someone following your Linked In Page, your twitter profile, and a fan of your Facebook page. By posting the same thing on every channel at once, it’s a bit annoying to some people.
  4. Think of social media fans almost like increasing your email database. Unfortunately all the fans won’t see every post due to the nature of social media but the likelihood of your content being discoverable has increased.
  5. Good content is also shareable content. Don’t forget to ask your fans to share your post if they like it. Give a call to action in a social media posting.
  6. The WHY. Each channel needs to have a why. Why will someone want to follow you? What is your purpose for each channel? What will you be posting on that channel and how will it help/resonate with your audience? For example, Twitter is a very good customer service channel for this business. It’s a quick way to “talk” to someone and should be monitored all day.
  7. DO NOT automatically connect Facebook and Twitter or Constant Contact and Twitter. This strategy tells people you are lazy and not really participating on social media. This is very bad if you want to use Twitter as a customer service tool.
  8. By talking about the different channels you have, providing reasons why someone should follow your company page or see your photos on Facebook, helps to increasing your overall connection growth on all social media. This is the community manager’s job to grow the audiences.
  9. I like email marketing because you can post a better call to action for checking out a social media channel. (More room to explain WHY) Never say, “Follow us on Facebook” without telling them “what’s in it for me”.
  10. Hashtags are so very important, especially for growing your audience and getting noticed. They are a way of categorizing your postings. People use Twitter to search for information. My suggestion is to use hashtags that other people also incorporated into their message so your content can get found during searches. Save using custom hashtags for events so that people can find the tweets easily.

Social Media Consultant